Coffee cups are one of those items that seem like they multiply on their own; stick two of them together in a cupboard, and a month later there will inexplicably be a dozen. If this scenario sounds familiar, there are many creative uses for coffee cups aside from having a morning cup of java. Here are two such ideas, both of which make excellent gifts.
Coffee Cup Planter
One great use for extra coffee cups is to repurpose them as planters. Use cups with bold graphic prints, bright colors, or pretty motifs as homes for small plants. These planters work well for plants like cacti or succulents, which are also low-maintenance.
- A coffeecup
- Potting soil
- A plant
- Place about an inch of gravel in the bottom of the cup to provide drainage.
- Add a small amount of potting soil, then place the plant in the coffee cup.
- Pack potting soil around the plant to fill the cup.
Optionally, dress the planter up by adding a layer of gravel, glass marbles, small sea shells, or other decorative items on top of the potting soil. A coffee cup planter makes a wonderful gift for a teacher or a coworker!
Coffee Cup Gift Basket
Coffee cups make a perfect vessel for small gift items. It makes an attractive display, and the cup is a useful gift as well.
- A coffee cup
- Small items such as pencils, fancy hot chocolate mixes, keychains, small toys, or anything else that will fit inside of a coffee cup
- Cellophane wrap
- Scotch tape
- Place a layer of candy in the bottom of the cup.
- If using any long items such as ink pens, lollipops, or other stick-like items, push them through into the layer of candy at what will be the back of the arrangement.
- Place the rest of the items in the coffee cup, starting with the largest items and working from the back to the front.
- Once all of the items are in place, put the cup in the center of a sheet of cellophane wrap and gather it around the top of the cup. Tie in place with a ribbon, and trim the top of the cellophane to the desired height.
- If there are any odd flaps or bubbles in the cellophane around the bottom of the cup, tuck them into place and secure with scotch tape.
A coffee cup gift basket is an ideal gift for many situations because it is completely customizable to fit the taste of the recipient and can be used for many occasions. Be imaginative when creating these miniature arrangements!
Coffee cups have a plethora of other uses as well. The make great pencil holders, or paintbrush holders for artists. Use them to hold small items on a desk, like paper clips and rubber bands. Chipped or broken coffee cups can be broken down and used as mosaic tiles. The possibilities are limited only by imagination!